[Pl-seminar] 2/7: Mike Dodds, "Recovering Disjointness from Concurrent Sharing"

Aaron Turon turon at ccs.neu.edu
Mon Feb 6 08:38:10 EST 2012

NEU Programming Languages Seminar presents

Mike Dodds
Cambridge University

Tuesday 2/7
11:45AM
Room 366 WVH (http://www.ccs.neu.edu/home/wand/directions.html)

Recovering Disjointness from Concurrent Sharing

Disjointness between resources is an extraordinarily useful property
when verifying concurrent programs. Threads that access mutually
disjoint resources can be reasoned about locally, ignoring
interleavings; this is the core insight behind Concurrent Separation
Logic. However, concurrent modules often share resources internally,
frustrating disjoint reasoning. In this talk, I will suggest that
sharing is often irrelevant to the clients of these modules, and can
be hidden. I will show how separation logic can be used to hide
irrelevant sharing and recover disjoint reasoning. I will motivate
this with the example of a concurrent index, and show how some
high-level sharing between threads can be maintained, reaping the
benefits of disjointness.

--

Mike Dodds is a postdoc working at the University of Cambridge. His
research is focussed is on verifying complex concurrent algorithms.