[Pl-seminar] 3/23: Dan Grossman, "Collaborating at the Hardware/Software Interface: A Programming-Languages Professor’s View"

Aaron Turon turon at ccs.neu.edu
Sun Mar 20 15:40:36 EDT 2011

NEU Programming Languages Seminar presents

Dan Grossman
University of Washington
(On sabbatical at Harvard)

Wednesday, 3/23

11:45am - 1:30pm
Room 366 WVH (http://www.ccs.neu.edu/home/wand/directions.html)

Collaborating at the Hardware/Software Interface:  A
Programming-Languages Professor’s View

This presentation will describe four ongoing projects that are advised
by my computer-architecture colleague Luis Ceze and that I am
co-advising or contributing to.  For each, I will point out what a
programming-languages perspective has to offer and why it is useful to
have students who can nimbly cross or blur the hardware/software
divide.  The projects -- deterministic execution of multithreaded
programs, code-centric specification of shared memory, language
support for approximate low-power computing, and run-time errors for
data races -- address the key technology trends of ubiquitous
parallelism and energy as a first-order concern.