[Pl-seminar] PL seminar schedule

Aaron Turon turon at ccs.neu.edu
Sun Oct 24 15:19:25 EDT 2010

NEU Programming Languages Seminar presents

Ryan Wisnesky
Harvard University

Wednesday, 10/27

11:45am - 1:30pm
Room 366 WVH (http://www.ccs.neu.edu/home/wand/directions.html)

Semantic Optimization and Verification of Hybrid Functional-Relational Programs

Hybrid functional-relational languages such as DryadLINQ, Links,
MapReduceMerge, PIG, Jaql, Ferry and Data Parallel Haskell are
proliferating.  These declarative query languages are often used for
large-scale, data-parallel, semi-structured collection processing and
typically incorporate elements from both functional programming
languages (FP) and relational query languages (RQ).  We present a
standard model of such languages with the aim of formalizing,
unifying, and generalizing optimizations and verifications across
them.  Our model begins as a functional programming language built on
algebraic (polynomial) datatypes, folds, quotient types, and monads.
This base enables classical FP techniques such as data-structure
flattening, fold-fusion, and generation of verification conditions.
We then extend the model to incorporate classical RQ techniques, such
as comprehension-minimization under constraints; to do so, we
generalize these RQ techniques from relations to idempotent monads.
Our model incorporates the key advantages of both FP and RQ and
supports sophisticated ("semantic") reasoning principles. To
demonstrate the usefulness of our model, we are implementing a
"universal" compiler for hybrid functional-relational languages which
supports semantic optimization and verification in a generic way.

Ryan is a fifth-year graduate student thinking about this as a thesis
topic and seeking feedback from the community.