[Pl-seminar] Next Boston Lisp Meeting: Monday September 29th 2008, 6pm at MIT 34-401B

Faré fahree at gmail.com
Fri Oct 24 00:51:32 EDT 2008

Next Boston Lisp Meeting: Monday October 27th 2008, 6pm at MIT 32-124

NB: ITA Software, a fine employer of Lisp hackers (disclosure: I work
there), is kindly purchasing a buffet to accompany our Monthly Boston
Lisp Meeting. Anyone who attends is welcome to partake. We appreciate
it if you let us know you're coming, and what food taboos you have, so
that we can order the right amount of food. Tell us by sending email
to boston-lisp-meeting-register at common-lisp.net. We won't send any
acknowledgment unless requested; importantly, we'll keep your identity
and address confidential and won't communicate any such information to
anyone, not even to our sponsors.

*

Tim McNerney will give a talk about Verifying the Correctness of
Compiler Transformations on Basic Blocks using Abstract
Interpretation.

Tim McNerney, currently software engineer at ITA Software, will
discuss some work he did years ago at Thinking Machines Corporations
on a native code parallel Fortran compiler for the Connection Machine.
The compiler used abstract interpretation to verify correctness of
some program transformations relating to register allocation. This
actually helped systematically detect and eliminate a class of subtle
bugs that was previously crippling the compiler.

* *

The Lisp Meeting will take place on Monday October 27th at MIT, Room 32-124.

As the numbers indicate, this is in Building 32, on the 1st floor.
That's the Stata Center, the funny looking building at the corner of
Main St and Vassar St. Note that this location is different from the
usual location in adjacent building 34.

MIT map: http://whereis.mit.edu/bin/map?selection=32

Google map: http://maps.google.com/maps?q=32+Vassar+St,+Cambridge,+MA+02139,+USA

Many thanks go to Alexey Radul for arranging for the room, and to MIT
for welcoming us.

* * *

The previous Boston Lisp Meeting on September 29th had over 60
participants. Rich Hickey had two standing ovations, and you can see
the talk on http://clojure.blip.tv/.

We're always looking for more speakers. The call for speakers and all
the other details are at http://fare.livejournal.com/120393.html

Please forward this information to people you think would be
interested. Please accept my apologies for your receiving this message
multiple times.

For more information, see our new web site boston-lisp.org. For posts
related to the Boston Lisp meetings in general, follow this link:
http://fare.livejournal.com/tag/boston-lisp-meeting or subscribe to
our RSS feed: http://fare.livejournal.com/data/rss?tag=boston-lisp-meeting

My apologies for this late announce. We had some difficulties
regarding the room that I took too long to resolve.

My apologies also if this announce gets posted to a list where it
shouldn't, or fails to get posted to a list where it should. I'm using
a new set of Bcc: for distribution. Feedback welcome by private reply.

If you call a tail a leg, how many legs has a dog? Five?
No! Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg.
        -- Abraham Lincoln, explaining the difference between
                                lexical scoping and dynamic scoping