[Pl-seminar] Semantics Seminar Schedule

Mitchell Wand wand at ccs.neu.edu
Thu Oct 13 00:05:01 EDT 2005

NU Programming Languages Seminar
** Note non-standard day and time **
Monday 10/17/05
2:00-4:00pm
Room 366 WVH (http://www.ccs.neu.edu/home/wand/directions.html)

The Meaning of Multilanguage Programs

Jacob Matthews
University of Chicago, Chicago

Monday, October 17, 2005

Software developers have long understood that real applications are
built out of components in different languages and connected using a
variety of different strategies. For example, foreign function
interface systems like SWIG connect high-level languages to low-level
languages; component frameworks like COM and; CORBA connect high-level
languages to; each other; and domain-specific languages such as Yacc
are embedded into their host languages in such a away that control and
data flow back and forth between the programs.

In this talk I will present a general technique for modelling the
operational semantics of multilanguage systems such as these. The
technique is simple and general, and surprisingly connects traditional
multilanguage systems to seemingly unrelated concepts such as
contracts.

Joint work with Robert B. Findler

Upcoming Events:

10/26 Martin Odersky: The Scala Experiment -- Can We Provide Better
      Language Support for Component Systems? **special time:
      1:45-3:00pm**

11/2  Sam Tobin-Hochstadt: The Fortress Programming Language

--Mitch