[Pl-seminar] Semantics Seminar Schedule

Mitchell Wand wand at ccs.neu.edu
Tue Jan 18 14:19:16 EST 2005

NU Programming Languages Seminar
Wednesday, January 19, 2005
Room 366 WVH (http://www.ccs.neu.edu/home/wand/directions.html)
11:45am-1:30pm

			  Kathi Fisler (WPI)
				 and
		    Shriram Krishnamurthi (Brown)

	       Modular Verification of Software Systems

Aspect-oriented programming (AOP) has become an increasingly important
programming paradigm.  AOP is one of a family of means for expressing
abstractions that cut across the program's dominant modularity; these
techniques enable the construction of software by composing features.
Despite their importance, feature-based programming methods lack
supporting computer-aided verification techniques, which are necessary
for increasing reliability and developing confidence in systems.

This talk presents a technique for verifying feature-based programs
(expressed as state machines).  By analogy with modular compilation,
we support modular verification, to both enable independent
development and to reduce the computational cost of verification.  We
present the analysis and discuss subtleties that arose as we applied
our prototype verifiers to real case studies.

Upcoming Events:

1/26: Martin Hirzel:  Connectivity-based garbage collection

--Mitch