[Pl-seminar] Semantics Seminar Schedule

Mitchell Wand wand at ccs.neu.edu
Wed Oct 15 01:05:02 EDT 2003

NU Programming Languages Seminar
Friday, October 17, 2003
206 Egan  Hall, Northeastern University
    (building 60 on http://www.campusmap.neu.edu/)
1000-1130

Kenichi Asai

The reflective language Black

In this talk, I introduce a Scheme-based reflective language called
Black.  The interesting feature of the language is its ability to
access and even modify its language semantics (provided as a
metacircular interpreter) at runtime from within the same language
framework.  After demonstrating some example interaction on the Black
system, I present how such a system can be implemented using
metacontinuations and `hooks.'  I then clarify its relationship to a
tower of interpreters (known as the reflective tower).  Finally, I
describe challenges for the efficient execution of reflective programs.
Although reflection seems to be too theoretical or impractical at
first sight, it has impacts on the understanding of interpreters and
compilers because of its generality.

Upcoming Events:

** that's 10/22, not 10/23 as in the preceding schedule
10/22: Paul Attie: Dynamic Input-Output Automata

10/29: Jeff Palm: AspectJ

11/5: Richard Cobbe: Environmental Acquisition

11/12: Theo Skotoniotis

11/19: Dale Vaillancourt: Separation Logic

12/2: Greg Pettyjohn: Cocoon

12/9: Phillipe Meunier

--Mitch