[Pl-seminar] Today's hottest new language

Paul Steckler steck at ccs.neu.edu
Tue Apr 1 12:12:47 EST 2003

> Subject: [Pl-seminar] Today's hottest new language
>

>  http://compsoc.dur.ac.uk/whitespace/

I once had occasion to attend a workshop in Durham.
When you get off the train in the city centre (sp. intentional),
there is a big plaza with (as I recall) white rubbish bins every
three feet or so.  Each rubbish bin has the word "Durham"
in big black letters.

At the time, I supposed there were two possible motivations for the
well-marked rubbish bins.  Either:

 - they wanted to foil thieves, who wouldn't want rubbish bins
    so clearly marked with their origin, or
 - they wanted to make clear to train travelers just where they'd
    gotten off, in case there was any doubt

The purpose was clearly not esthetic (while I admit there was little
or no trash on the ground).

After following the above link, I've come up with a third possibility
for the marking scheme:

 - as textual relief for local programmers who program in Whitespace:
once you're used to not seeing text where it belongs, it must be
refreshing to see it whenever possible.

-- Paul