[Pl-seminar] Semantics Seminar Schedule

Mitchell Wand wand at ccs.neu.edu
Fri, 17 May 2002 00:05:01 -0400 (EDT)

NU Programming Languages Seminar
Wednesday, May 22, 2002
206 Egan  Hall, Northeastern University
    (building 44 on http://www.campusmap.neu.edu/)
    [!** note non-standard room **!]
9:30-11:30

Timothy Hickey, Brandeis University

Jscheme: A Scheme-like language for the JVM

Jscheme is a Scheme-like dialect of Lisp which provides transparent
access to Java via a simple and powerful syntactic extension -- the
Java-dot notation.  Jscheme borrows much of its semantics from Java;
in particular it directly uses Java threads, exception handling,
primitive data types, and libraries. It adds to these basic elements
most of R4RS Scheme (failing only in that call/cc is partially
implemented as call/ec and strings are not mutable). Jscheme is fully
tail recursive, both when interpreted and compiled.

Jscheme has been designed to compete with Java as a language for
programming the Java Virtual Machine. It provides full access to Java
and can be easily called from Java.  In this talk we describe the
Jscheme language and demonstrate how it compares to Java in
implementing applications, servlets, applets, and Java Web Start
applications.  We also compare Jscheme to some of the other Java
implementations of Scheme including Kawa and SISC.

Upcoming presentations:

6/12 Mark Logan, "Anomaly:  A special purpose language for System and
Network Management"

6/19 Manuel Serrano, "Scheme Fair Threads"

Others TBA.

Most meetings will be 930-1130 in 306 EG.