[Pl-seminar] Semantics Seminar Schedule

Mitchell Wand wand at ccs.neu.edu
Fri, 22 Feb 2002 00:05:02 -0500 (EST)

NU Programming Languages Seminar
Wednesday, February 27, 2002
306 Egan  Hall, Northeastern University
    (building 62 on the unfortunate map at http://www.neu.edu/maps/maps.html)
1030-1230

Harold Ossher and Peri Tarr
IBM Thomas J. Watson Research Center

Multi-Dimensional Separation of Concerns

Multi-dimensional separation of concerns is a new approach to
constructing, integrating and evolving software.  Developers can
decompose and organize code and other artifacts according to multiple,
arbitrary criteria (concerns) simultaneously--even after the software
has been implemented--and synthesize or integrate the pieces into
larger-scale components and systems.  This facilitates several common
development and evolution activities, including: adaptation,
customization and instrumentation; addition and mix-and-match of
features; reconciliation and integration of multiple domain models;
reuse and product line management; extraction or replacement of
existing parts of software; and "on-demand remodularization."

In this talk, we will introduce and illustrate the concepts behind
multi-dimensional separation of concerns, discuss how it relates to
aspect-oriented software development, and briefly describe Hyper/J,
our support for Java(tm) developers. We will discuss experience with
Hyper/J, and a number of interesting and challenging research
problems that remain.

More on HyperJ is at http://www.alphaworks.ibm.com/tech/hyperj.

Upcoming presentations:

3/6 Fabio Rojas

3/13-3/20 NU exam week and intersession; no seminar

3/27 no seminar

We resume in April...

Most meetings will be 1030-1230 in 306 EG.