[Pl-seminar] Talk Announcement

Hetchen Ehrenfeld hetchen at deas.harvard.edu
Tue, 5 Feb 2002 13:22:08 -0500

--------------B6E6634073A87357D95C556F

--------------E60CD8B90BA207873D6DBC9C

Tuesday, February 19, 2002
10:00 - 11:00 am
Maxwell Dworkin MD 119

                   Lua, a lightweight language
                            (www.lua.org)

Roberto Ierusalimschy, PUC-Rio, Brazil

Lua is a lightweight scripting language with a design that emphasizes
simplicity, portability, extensibility, and efficiency. Despite (or
because of) its "small-is-beautiful" approach, since its inception in
1993 Lua has gained wide acceptance in several application areas, such
as games and embedded systems.

Lua provides general meta-mechanisms (such as reflexivity) instead of
myriad specific features. That allows us to use Lua as a
skeleton-language
upon which we can build different domain-specific languages.

In this talk I will give an overview of the language, explain what makes

Lua different from other scripting languages, and discuss some new
features for its next version, such as coroutines and lexical scoping.

Host: Professor Norman Ramsey

--------------E60CD8B90BA207873D6DBC9C

&nbsp;
(www.lua.org)