[Isu570-f08-rpf] The struggle to compete creating new designs - interesting article - Apple and "the others"

Alex Simoes alexandersimoes at gmail.com
Sun Oct 5 20:02:01 EDT 2008

I think this is a very interesting article as I have always admired Apple
for their intuitive minimalist designs. This article is quick to point out
the success of the iPod in light of competitors (such as Microsoft's Zune)
coming to market and trying to compete directly with similar products, but
I'm not sure this author has investigated all the iPhone's competition.

It is not just Nokia that is coming out with competing touch screen phones,
there is also T-Mobile's G1 that will be running Google's new open OS -
Android. With Apple using a proprietary OS on their iPhone and restricting
many community developed apps, they seem to be shooting themselves in the
foot much the way they did when Windows first came out. Users like options
and with the iPhone, they just may not be getting them. But I guess we'll
see soon enough.

- alex simoes