[Tipz] irssi & SSH tip godness

Ari Pollak ari at ccs.neu.edu
Sat Mar 6 17:52:47 EST 2004

I've CCed crew at lists on this because hardly anyone is subscribed to
tipz@ and this should be useful to pretty much anyone in Crew.
These tips are both documented, but not everyone has the time to go and
read through every bit of docs out there.

Everyone knows that pageup/pagedown in irssi (an IRC client)
theoretically scrolls up/down in the scroll back. But there are a lot of
broken termcaps & SSH clients out there, and this does not always work.
Meta+P/Meta+N (Alt+P/Alt+N or Escape,P/Escape,N) should work equivalently.

Most people know that a newline followed by "~." in OpenSSH kills the
session. But (I think only in versions 3.7 or above), there are lots of
other very useful escapes you can use as well. From the ssh man page:
The supported escapes (assuming the default ‘~’) are:
~.      Disconnect.
~^Z     Background ssh.
~#      List forwarded connections.
~&      Background ssh at logout when waiting for forwarded connection /
         X11 sessions to terminate.
~?      Display a list of escape characters.
~B      Send a BREAK to the remote system (only useful for SSH protocol
         version 2 and if the peer supports it).
                                                         ~C      Open
command line (only useful for adding port forwardings using
         the -L and -R options).

~R      Request rekeying of the connection (only useful for SSH protocol
         version 2 and if the peer supports it).