[Tipz] Cool Latex tricks

Peter Markowsky peterm at ccs.neu.edu
Sun Sep 28 19:26:17 EDT 2003

Hi all,

If you want to be able to include graphics files in your latex files,
use pdflatex. On OS X this can be installed via fink. Also I highly
recommend using Texshop. But anyway how do you include graphics files
in a latex document.

first in the preamble use the package graphicx from pdftex this can be
included by adding the line

\usepackage[pdftex]{graphicx}

then right after the \begin{document} line add the following

\DeclareGraphicsExtensions{.jpg,.pdf,.mps,.png}

Then later in the document when you actually want to include an
image. Simply use the line

\includegraphics{file_name_to_include}

and that's it. After playing with it for a while I recommend that you
do something like the following to make the image look better:

%graphics inclusion
\begin{figure}[htbp]
\begin{center}
\includegraphics{file_name_to_include}
\caption{default}
\label{default}
\end{center}
\end{figure}

%graphics inclusion

Hope you found this interesting.

-Pete

--
It sure is fun to sit around at night, look up at the stars, and think
about billion dollar computers owned by the government that can crack