[Tipz] byebye grep -v grep

David N. Blank-Edelman dnb at ccs.neu.edu
Fri Jan 31 15:31:25 EST 2003

On Fri, 31 Jan 2003, Jay Sekora wrote:

> I would expect this to match, since it gets the dnb in the process-owner
> field.  Is there another example you've seen where this isn't relevant?  -j.

Ok, finally had a second to put my brain to this. This idiom works great
except under one condition (and the example I gave had that one
condition): looking for processes you spawned by grep'ing for your login
name. If I had said instead:

   ps -ef|grep '[p]ostfix'

that works great (where works great means "doesn't show the grep command")
because the regexp "[p]ostfix" does not match the string "[p]ostfix". More
in depth explanation available if that didn't make sense.

         -- dNb