[scponly] Could not open keyfile '/home/testuser/.ssh/authorized_keys': Permission denied

Lupe Christoph lupe at lupe-christoph.de
Wed Oct 24 17:11:46 EDT 2012

On Wednesday, 2012-10-24 at 11:34:11 -0700, Kaleb Pederson wrote:
> This is probably strictly an open ssh issue. At first glance
> everything looks reasonable. I keep thinking that OpenSSH wants the
> HOME directory of the user owned by that user (which I don't believe
> works with chroots)... either that or OpenSSH requires that the parent
> folder to the .ssh folder by owned by the user.

No, I ran chrooted SSH with root-owned Homedirs. I believe only the
.authorized_leys file needs to be owned by the user, maybe not even
that.

But permissions have to be strict for .ssh.

> I can take a look on my system later tonight. In the mean time, IIRC,
> if you set the right debugging/verbosity flags in OpenSSH, it'll tell
> you what's happening.

There might already be something in the auth log.

HTH,
Lupe Christoph
--
| It is a well-known fact in any organisation that, if you want a job    |
| done, you should give it to someone who is already very busy.          |