[scponly] ANN: chwurz , a tool to create and manage scponlyc chroots

startx startx at plentyfact.org
Mon Jan 9 16:14:02 EST 2012

On Mon, 9 Jan 2012 12:49:42 -0800
Kaleb Pederson <kaleb.pederson at gmail.com> wrote:

> First, Thanks! I'm planning on removing the builtin chroot support as
> I can't manage it for all the different OSs. A good tool will help,
> which is part of why I haven't done that yet.

hi kaleb.

thanks for the quick feedback.

> * It looks like it's hard coded to look for a path of
> /usr/sbin/scponlyc, but it could be installed anywhere.

true. i used what is the default on debian and ubuntu, i might make this
an option or add it as a global to the top of the script if somebody
needs to adjust that.

> * The libs and their locations vary drastically per os/distribution.
> Consider 64-bit OSs: /lib64.

yes, again i was using debian as a guideline, i considered detecting
pathes automatically ( taking it from the "host" OS ) in the future

> * The hard-coded skeleton is likely going to be a pain to manage when
> new releases come out

do you mean new releases of the OS or my script?

> * Not all machines will be using /etc/passwd to manager their users
> (ldap, etc.)

yes, but thats future stuff ;)

> * Some admins won't want the users password, encrypted or not, ever
> showing up in a process list

sure. the commandline option for the password is only convinience for
somebody who wants to trigger the script automatically, if you do not
set that option, you will be prompted similar to adduser.

i should have also mentioned that once i am happy with the script i
will also write a lua module version ( i.e. library version ) which
then can be used from C ( and other languages ) using lualib.

again, cheers for the quick feedback,

startx