[scponly] New scponly Snapshot Release

Kaleb Pederson kaleb.pederson at gmail.com
Sat Nov 20 19:54:42 EST 2010

I don't see scponly as useful without running as root for a number of reasons:

* In order for a user-install to be useful, the user would also need to have access to a ssh daemon running on some port over 1024. This seems fairly unlikely.
* In order for the scponly shell to be owned and controlled by a regular user, it would require that /etc/shells contain the correct path to the scponly shell, and this is not a user-editable file.

That said, although the application may be built by a regular user as provided, I don't really see any substantial benefit to making it possible to do an install as a regular user.

Unless I hear from many people indicating they really need to do a full install as non-root, I'm going to leave the install as-is as it's been tried, tested, and is known to work.

--
Kaleb Pederson

Blog - http://kalebpederson.com
Twitter - http://twitter.com/kalebpederson