[scponly] first (recent) post

Johan Heikkilä johanheikkila at hotmail.com
Fri Nov 19 08:52:07 EST 2010

2010/11/18 Christopher Barry <christopher.r.barry at gmail.com>:
> Greetings,
>
> Not sure of the status of this project now, but I used scponly with
> great success a few years ago. Getting ready to get back into it.
>
> I wrote a wrapper script around it in fact, called sftp-manager, which
> is (err, aims to be) a fairly full featured administrative program to
> manage secure corporate 'partner' file sharing.

Hello,

interesting solution that you have developed for managing user accounts.

I am interested in ideas how to handle password changing. Currently
our users cannot change their passwords. We only allow login with scp
or sftp clients.

I tested with a stripped down usermin (www.webmin.com/usermin.html) on
HTTPS, where the user only can change their passwords and also access
their files. But I think this is not a secure interface.

It is also very hard to keep track of users that should be removed.
I've been thinking that I should automatically disable users that
haven't used the service for a certain time and send a mail that they
have to request access rights again.

Your solution is interesting, but it is not easy to change an existing
system. Thanks for offering it to the list, though.

Best regards,
Johan