[scponly] scponly stopped working after last Red Hat erratum

Kaleb Pederson kaleb.pederson at gmail.com
Fri Jan 1 01:09:52 EST 2010

On Tuesday 29 December 2009 05:19:01 am Voetelink D. wrote:
> > Also, have you tried the debugging information available on the FAQ?
> >
> > http://sublimation.org/scponly/wiki/index.php/FAQ
>
> Yes I have, and now it seems like the debugging itself is part of the
> problem. It seems I still had debuglevel set to 2 from a previous test.
>
> If I set debuglevel to 0 or 1 everything seems to work okay. If I set it
> to a higher value it stops working.

Actually, this is fairly expected.  A debug level of 2 or higher causes information to be written to standard output which causes problems with certain protocols and applications.

> I did strace and found that it seems to fail while writing a line to the
> (sys)log. (see attached strace dumpfiles, the debug# in the filename is
> the debuglevel configured in the /etc/scp/debuglevel file...).

I'm glad you figured it out, although I'm sorry you had to go to all that trouble.

--
Kaleb Pederson

Blog - http://kalebpederson.com
Twitter - http://twitter.com/kalebpederson