[scponly] logging control

Christopher Barry christopher.barry at qlogic.com
Tue Mar 31 13:55:33 EDT 2009

Hi all,

I've been playing around trying to get logging working in a way that produces the level of detail I would like, namely I want to see logs of similar detail to ftp logs. e.g.:
who connects when, from where, what they do while connected, files uploaded/downloaded. Plus all auth failures.

Docs are scant on this aspect. I tried the syslogd socket method in chroot /dev/log, but this did not seem to have any effect. I've set what I think are correct env vars (values? well, that's another question ;)

~# cat /etc/environment
PATH="/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin"
# for scponly
LOG_SFTP=1
SFTP_UMASK=022
SFTP_PERMIT_CHMOD=0
SFTP_PERMIT_CHOWN=0
SFTP_LOG_LEVEL=LOG_DEBUG
SFTP_LOG_FACILITY=LOG_AUTHPRIV
# end

Anyone made this type of logging work? Can you share how?
keeping sshd @ DEBUG3 is kinda filling up my disk...;)

Thanks,
-C