[scponly] scponly and umask

Kaleb Pederson kaleb.pederson at gmail.com
Tue Mar 31 13:42:43 EDT 2009

On Tuesday 31 March 2009 10:32:44 am Ken wrote:
> Hey Kaleb,
>
> By "normal" user I mean having a normal shell, e.g. bash, as opposed to
> scponly shell. Do you mean something other than either of these two by
> "test" user?

I assume that you have a test account whose shell you can change arbitrarily for testing purposes.  Assuming you do, I'm interested in the behavior differences between the two.

If I understand you correctly, you have examined the environment variables for both shells and found that they are identical.  That's a good thing since that implies that what scponly is doing should work with both.

So, knowing the above, I'm trying to determine if the chmod/chown behavior that you see with /bin/sh as opposed to scponly is identical.  If the behavior is identical, then we need not look at scponly as the culprit.  If the behavior is different, then we need to understand where those differences are coming from.

In looking at the sftpfilecontrol patch, the behavior that you have described seems to match what the environment variables permit, but NOT the behavior that is described in sshd_config, as if the directives in sshd_config are not being interpreted correctly.

Can you test out an account that uses /bin/sh and tell me if the chmod/chown restrictions are in place?

Thanks.

--Kaleb