[scponly] scponlyc broken after upgrade to Debian 5

Chris Wood chriswoodut at gmail.com
Tue Mar 10 22:20:24 EDT 2009

On Tue, Mar 10, 2009 at 3:33 PM, Kaleb Pederson
<kaleb.pederson at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tuesday 10 March 2009 02:11:35 pm Chris Wood wrote:
>> Kaleb,
>>
>> Downloading the latest stable and compiling it with chroot enabled works!
>
> I'm glad to hear it works for you.
>
>> My steps:
>> (download source, untar)
>> ./configure  --enable-chrooted-binary
>> make
>> cp scponly /usr/sbin/scponlyc
>>
>> Debian stores the chroot version of the program in /usr/sbin/scponlyc,
>> so I replaced it with the newly compiled version.
>
> That might make scponly check for its debugfile in an odd location (eg. /usr/local/etc/scponly/debuglevel) instead of the expected location.  You'll likely want to specify configure arguments that match what debian used, or use only your custom installed version and don't use the deb, but then you might need to modify /etc/shells, etc.

For the mail list archive, I think this is how debian is configuring
the compile.

./configure CFLAGS='$(CFLAGS)' --host=$(DEB_HOST_GNU_TYPE)
--build=$(DEB_BUILD_GNU_TYPE) --prefix=/usr
--mandir=\$${prefix}/share/man --infodir=\$${prefix}/share/info
--sysconfdir=\$${prefix}/../etc --enable-scp-compat
--enable-winscp-compat --enable-chrooted-binary --enable-passwd-compat
PROG_USERADD=/usr/sbin/useradd