[scponly] SIGPIPE when trying to connect to chrooted scponly host

Mark Trolley marktrolley at gmail.com
Sat Apr 4 14:31:49 EDT 2009

I'm having no luck whatsoever getting scponly to work again. I had it
working before upgrading Debian to lenny and now it doesn't. I've seen
the other mailing list posts about this problem so I know it's known,
so I decided to forgo using the Debian package and compile from source
instead. I did that and did all the setup but it still doesn't work.

I compiled scponly from source using only the --enable-chrooted-binary
option. I then ran setup_chroot.sh and followed all the prompts. I
needed to copy /dev/null manually but otherwise everything went OK.

Next I copied sh (and libs) into the chroot directory and can
successfully chroot there and run sftp-server:

hanzy:/etc/vim# chroot /media/media/ftp/ /bin/sh
hanzy:/# /usr/lib/sftp-server
No user found for uid 0hanzy:/#

I've attached the strace logs from a connection attempt. The last
lines in sftp.log.8392 show:

writev(2, [{"scponly[8392]: chrooted binary in"..., 54}, {"\n"...,
1}], 2) = -1 EPIPE (Broken pipe)
--- SIGPIPE (Broken pipe) @ 0 (0) ---

Any ideas what's wrong? I'm at my wit's end.