[scponly] logging control

Christopher Barry christopher.barry at qlogic.com
Wed Apr 1 12:00:47 EDT 2009

Hi people,

Anyone have a chance to chew on this? Are there some docs/posts I've missed that I should read first?

Thought I'd go ahead and mention that I am writing a management application around scponly that controls chrooted sites, utilizing a key-based authentication scheme only - no passwords. It's called sftp-manager.

The organization is around the 'partner', who is the username used to access the site, and the Linux user. But the real 'user' is simply an email address/keypair combination. Users are tracked and maintained by their email address and key fingerprint.

A single key can allow access to any number of sites. The primary use of this app is to maintain and control a support environment where the 'partner' is a partner company, and the users are employees of that company or local support engineers. This way there are no shared passwords, and an individual can be removed from a site easily without making everyone change their passwords to maintain security.

So far it's working incredibly well, but it's got a way to go yet. Getting meaningful audit data is what this post is trying to help facilitate.

Once I get the app to a reasonably stable state, I'll release it to the wild.

Cheers,
-C