[scponly] Need help with chrooted scponly 4.6 on centos 5

Kaleb Pederson kibab at icehouse.net
Sat Sep 15 23:42:21 EDT 2007

It depends on your needs.  If there is only one person using the incoming
folder, then you should secure it so that only that user has permissions to
access it.

When you specify the home directory for the user, scponly looks for a '//' to
decide where to chroot.  If one isn't present it uses the whole directory as
the chroot directory, and then uses the optional CHDIR directory
(typically /incoming) to change directory to.

A couple example home directories:

/home/userguy - chroots to /home/userguy, uses / as default directory for the
  user unless a CHDIR directory is specified.
/home/userguy//home/thedir  - chroots to /home/userguy and then
  uses /home/thedir as the users home directory.

Ideally, ever user will have his own chroot, so other users will never be able
to any of his files, even if they have poor permissions on them.

I hope that helps.

--Kaleb