[scponly] Need help with chrooted scponly 4.6 on centos 5

Kaleb Pederson kibab at icehouse.net
Sat Sep 15 17:48:27 EDT 2007

On Saturday 15 September 2007, Security Team wrote:
> This is the only scary message:
>
> # ldconfig -r /home/userguy -v
> ldconfig: Can't stat /usr/ofed/lib: No such file or directory

It just means that /etc/ld.so.conf (within the chroot) references a folder
that doesn't exist.

> > Also, you might try copying /bin/sh into the chroot temporarily, and
> > making sure that you can chroot to the directory manually, and then run
> > sftp-server as the person that you are trying to connect as.
>
> Unclear on this part, but I'm re-reading this sentence a couple times to
> figure out what to try.

Basically, a good way to test is to copy /bin/sh into the chroot (as /bin/sh),
and then do the same thing manually that scponly does.  It's something like
this:

$ CHROOTDIR=/path/to/your/chroot
$ cp /bin/sh $CHROOTDIR/bin
$ chroot $CHROOTDIR /bin/sh
$ /path/to/your/sftp-server

If the last command just sits there and doesn't exit, then it's probably
working.  You might also see library errors, permission problems, etc.

--Kaleb