[scponly] Help me understand why the // syntax is useful ...

Paul Hyder paul.hyder at noaa.gov
Thu Feb 1 09:12:01 EST 2007

FYI The // syntax does a chroot to the location on the left side and
then does a cd based in the chroot to the path on the right.  It doesn't
change the syntax for path specification in commands, i.e. "/" would be
the unwriteable root, "." or blank is the current directory, etc.

The // syntax is a tool to cd users into their home directory tree or
perhaps into a shared or use specific writeable directory.
    Paul Hyder