[scponly] why won't 'find' work in the chroot ?

Ensel Sharon user at dhp.com
Thu Sep 21 15:17:42 EDT 2006

I hacked the find command into scponly.c ...

However, it refuses to traverse the users chroot directory, and in a way
that does not seem to match its normal respecting of unix permissions

users home directory in /etc/passwd is:

/home

which is set 0711 ... so the user can not read it, can only traverse
through it.  Their "incoming" directory is /home/user, which is set 0700.

So when I run:

ssh user at host find /user

I get:

find: .: Permission denied

Which is really confusing me ... it has permission to do whatever it wants
with /home/user, and it can traverse /home ...

I would like to know:

1. why this doesn't work, when ls works just fine:

ssh user at host ls -asl /user

2. Can anyone think of a find syntax that will tell it to just shut up and
look anyway, I don't care what you smell ?

Thanks.

P.S. any comments on the safety of find in the chroot are welcome...