[scponly] new patch: makes rsync work

Kaleb Pederson kibab at icehouse.net
Tue Oct 31 02:08:29 EST 2006

Péter,

Thanks for contributing.

Although this should work, I would prefer to only explicitely allow the ones
that we know safe -- in this case '--server' and '--sender'.  Using
getopt_long we could have a list of allowed args that we could validate in
its entirety.  Thus, if rsync or any other program comes out with a new
command line option, we wouldn't be vulnerable.

I had mostly finished this up a couple of months ago... but circumstances
haven't permitted me to finish it up :(

Basically, it just employed the concept shown up in the getopt_long manpage:

// make an array
static struct option allowed_long_opts[] = {
    {"server", 1, 0, 'k'},
    {"sender", 0, 0, 'k'},
    {0,0,0,0}
  };

c = getopt_long (argc, argv, OPTS_FOR_CMD_IN_USE,
         allowed_long_opts, NULL);

if ('k' == c || other allowed shortopt)...;

Anyway, you obviously got around to it first -- and something is much better
than nothing... so thank you.

Hopefully with some other feedback we can end up with the best all-around
solution.

--Kaleb