[scponly] scp fails with "lost connection"

Michael Gillis gillisme at gov.ns.ca
Tue Oct 17 14:16:13 EDT 2006

Hi,

I'm new to scponly and am having a problem. I tried the archives, but
there doesn't appear to be a way to search them?

Anyway, I compiled (gcc) and installed scponly on an IBM box running
AIX 5.3. I left everything as default and am not using chroot. When the
user was initially created I was able to ssh in as this user to reset
the password, but was immediately disconnected. This user can no longer
ssh into the box, which is good, but scp does not work either. Trying to
scp from my SUSE linux box results in being asked the password, and then
getting "lost connection". I can successfully scp to the box if I use
another account.

When I tried WinSCP from a Windows PC, it would work if using SFTP, but
it would fail if set to use SCP only with the message "Error skipping
startup message. Your shell is probably incompatible with the
application (BASH is recommended)" In the more information box was the
message "Connection has been unexpectedly closed. Server sent command
exit status 1."

Does anyone have any clues/tips on what I have done wrong and how to
resolve it?

Thanks,

Michael Gillis.