[scponly] scponly & multiple users with same uid

Kaleb Pederson kibab at icehouse.net
Sun Nov 5 11:50:52 EST 2006

On Sunday 05 November 2006 7:24 am, Peter Haijen wrote:
> The reason I've not been thinking about using ACL is that a user would
> still be able to block access from the apache daemon (I haven't really used
> ACL before so my experience is limited here).

No.  You should be able to setup a default ACL, one that will be applied to
all the files underneath a certain directory, so apache will always have the
access that you define in the ACLs.

> Also, if the web browser would
> be compromised, the user's files would still be in danger even with ACL I
> figure. The only real advantage with ACL would be that users would be
> protected from other users, but I figured this would be an acceptable risc
> because my users have a chrooted jail and are only allowed to copy files in
> and out anyway.

Ideally, yes that may be the case.  But what if the chroot breaks?  Then there
is a huge difference.  What if the users home directly accidently gets set to
scponly instead of scponlyc? Again, that's a huge difference.  You want to
choose the setup that is as secure as possible and still works for your
requirements.  Thus, if something goes wrong -- whatever it might be, you
will be in the best shape possible.

--Kaleb