[scponly] Key-based authentication and scponly

John Buttery john at io.com
Fri Jul 28 11:20:15 EDT 2006

* On Fri 2006-Jul-28 10:53:37 -0400, COTE Philippe <CoteP at iata.org> wrote:
> I'm trying to do key-based auth. with scponly and chrooted jails and it's
> not working.
>
> I put the public key in /home/username/.ssh/authorized_keys, put 0600
> permissions on .ssh and authorized keys, but when I try to connect, it still
> asks me for the password.
>
> Does anyone know why ?

  1) ~/.ssh is a directory, so it needs execute permissions.  0700

  2) Is sshd configured to allow "RSAAuthentication"?  Only?

  3) Try regular ssh-ing to that account with "ssh -v -v"...you won't
     get a prompt due to scponly, of course, but you can see the
     authentication conversation happen (with errors, if any).

--
  John  ! Since this email isn't signed, you can't really tell it's from
 Buttery! me; I'll hopefully have my computer working normally again