[scponly] Filezilla: "Fatal: unable to initialise SFTP: could not connect"

Hideyuki KURASHINA rushani at bl.mmtr.or.jp
Mon Jan 23 00:11:20 EST 2006

>>> On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 23:29:10 -0500, Frappy John <frappyjohn at gmail.com> said:

> Apparently the uid=0 in the system log refers to the owner of the sshd
> process, not the user connecting via ssh. (I tested this with a couple of
> users to verify it.)

OK.

I noticed that you showed only sshd logs, i.e. scponly related logs
didn't appeared.  So, my suggestions to you are as follows:

  1) before trying scponly, check FileZilla works with normal shells.
     Note that Filezilla seems to be supported only password
     authentication.

  2) if 1) is OK, try scponly by increasing its debugging level
     by

        echo 1 > /usr/local/etc/scponly/debuglevel

     it will bring you to lots of information.

For the record, FileZilla 2.2.18 using

  * Servertype = SFTP using SSH2
  * Logontype = Normal

works with OpenSSH's sshd 4.2p1 on FreeBSD 6.0.

Hope this helps,

-- rushani