[joe@sublimation.org: Re: [scponly] root login disabled]

wby oblyr joe at sublimation.org
Mon Feb 13 13:43:07 EST 2006

It is best to think of scponly as a restricted shell.  Given that the super-user is not constrained, the root user
would be able to subvert the scponly restricted shell and execute arbitrary commands, defeating the purpose of
scponly.

this is a more concrete example of what can go wrong if users are allowed to modify the contents of their .ssh
subdirectory:

	http://www.cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvename.cgi?name=CVE-2002-1469

joe