[scponly] scponly and Fedora 6

Peter Weil plweil at wisc.edu
Thu Dec 7 15:04:24 EST 2006

I joined this list this morning to post a question, but was able to
find the answer thanks to the archives. My issue was similar to that
described in the thread "can't start sftp-server on Fedora Core 5"
from March 2006. Previously I had done several successful scponly
installs on Fedora 4. But no luck with Fedora 6 -- the connection
just kept closing without explanation. Debugging and ssh logs didn't
contain any clues. But, thanks to that March thread, I was able to do
an "strace". The resulting sftp.log files were mostly Greek to me,
but I did notice this line in one of them:

open("/dev/null", O_RDWR|O_LARGEFILE)   = -1 ENOENT (No such file or
directory)

As someone else mentioned, previous installs had not required a /dev/
null file in the alternate root directory. Apparently scponly in
Fedora Core 6 does.  So, paraphrasing Kaleb's post from March:

... and the answer was to create /path/to/chroot/dev/null and chmod
it to 666.

I hope this helps save someone from a lot of frustration and time.
And thanks to everyone who supports scponly on this list.

--
Peter Weil, Web Developer
University Communications
Email: plweil at wisc.edu