[scponly] Integrating a file sharing system (long)

Sven Ulland sveniu at ifi.uio.no
Sun Aug 27 11:08:56 EDT 2006

OK, I've come quite far with this project now, and it seems to be
working very nicely. What I ended up doing was using autofs (with an
ldap extension, so it fetches automount info from the ldap server).
When a user logs in, his homedir is populated with "ghost" entries
(autofs feature) of all project folders he is a member of (membership
determined by the ldap database). When he chdirs into either of them,
they are immediately mounted and the contents are shown. They are
umounted after a user-customizable time, typically a few minutes.

The mounts are bind mounts, so no hard links are used. This seems to
work fine for concurrency too.

Right now I'm working with the web interface. If there's any interest,
I've planned to write a howto for this, since it's actually a *very*
useful system, both for personal and corporate environments, and it
is strongly based on existing software. Only the CGI web interface
is written from scratch.

Thanks so much for your comments, Kaleb.

sven