[scponly] Integrating a file sharing system (long)

Sven Ingebrigt Ulland sveniu at ifi.uio.no
Fri Aug 25 08:22:25 EDT 2006

On Fri, Aug 25, 2006 at 12:50:21PM +0200, Sven Ingebrigt Ulland wrote:
[...]
> > Now, regarding mounting and other things, it seems like you should be able to
> > get away with a really simple patch to scponly.  I would probably modify it
> > so that it executed a single program/script (possibly setuid root or before
> > dropping permissions).  That script could then mount --bind the necessary
> > directories and do any other customization that needed to happen.
>
> That would be great! I was thinking about doing it myself.. though I'm
> not a C guru. An extension to scponly like the one you mention should
> be able to deal with variables such as $username and $groups.. but
> having it deal with a variable list/array would probably make it too
> complex?

I just found out that there is autofs/automount support for ldap. That
may be perfect for this purpose. From apt-cache show autofs-ldap:

 Autofs controls the operation of the automount daemons. The
 automount daemons automatically mount filesystems when they
 are used and unmount them after a period of inactivity. This
 is done based on a set of pre-configured maps.
 .
 The kernel automounter implements an almost complete SunOS style
 automounter under Linux. Automounter version 4 (autofs4) has to
 be enabled when compiling the kernel. Debian packaged kernels
 have it enabled.
 .
 This package provides support for LDAP queries in autofs so
 that you can use automount maps stored on an LDAP server.

I'll look into it. This might have drifted a bit off topic though :)

sven