[scponly] Solaris 9 with chroot

Ralf Durkee rd at rd1.net
Fri Oct 21 19:08:23 EDT 2005

Here are older notes on what was need to make and older version (3.9) of
scponly run on Solaris 9, I had thought all of this was rolled into the
current release. There's also a copy of the modification done to the 3.9
setup_chroot script. In case it's useful.

http://rd1.net/sysadminmag/setup_chroot.sh.txt

-- Ralf Durkee, CISSP, GSEC, GCIH
Principal Consultant
http://rd1.net

=============================
Need several packages added which are not bundled with Solaris 9, such
as gcc, wget fileutils available www.sunfreeware.com

Should have the /usr/local/bin and /usr/local/sbin before the /usr/bin
and /usr/sbin in the PATH.

Solaris doesn't be default place users in individual groups,

1.	Added single quotes around ^cd$ on the BINARIES= line. Got a usage
error from grep without it.

2.	Replaced echo with /usr/local/bin/echo on lines with –e option (lines
7, 17, 22, 30,33,34) I had /usr/local/bin first in my path, but Solaris
/bin/sh is probably using a built-in echo.

3.	Added a space after the $@ prompt in line 29
(this last one is cosmetic, but I did find it a bit awkward)

4.	The output of  ldd started with tabs rather than a space, so I
changed the grep in LIB_LIST= line to look for [space or tab].
…  /usr/local/bin/grep "^[     ]"

5.	I needed to add the file /usr/lib/ld.so.1 although which was pretty
easy to see with a clear log message generated.
“Jan  6 15:57:51 net2 elfexec: [ID 700856 kern.notice] sftp-server:
Cannot find /usr/lib/ld.so.1”

Solaris 9 has two files which are different:
bash-2.05# ls -ali /usr/lib/ld.so*
    1396 -rwxr-xr-x    1 root     bin         24576 Nov 13  2002
/usr/lib/ld.so
    1397 -rwxr-xr-x    1 root     bin        184040 Nov 13  2002
/usr/lib/ld.so.1

and /lib is linked to /usr/lib which I think was common on most previous
Solaris versions.
Not sure if you want to add a couple of more paths to the list. I’m
currently working ok with just the /usr/lib/ld.so.1