[scponly] Permission denied

Kaleb Pederson kpederson at mail.ewu.edu
Thu Mar 31 19:04:55 EST 2005

It's most likely something at the system level.  It really sounds like a shell
problem because it's happening before the user gets to access scponly, but
you indicated that it is present.  Perhaps there is a permissions problem on
the file or something else of that nature.

If they happen to be getting to scponly, then you could do something like the
following to turn up debugging:

echo "1" > /etc/scponly/debuglevel

Once you up your debuglevel (change the path above as necessary), then you
should get quite a few messages in the log when the user is actually getting
to scponly, but I doubt that's the problem.

If you still can't figure it out, you could strace your ssh process and find
out what ssh is doing for authentication and the associated failure.

--Kaleb