[scponly] ssh connection hangs instead of terminates

Scott D. Anderson sanderso at wellesley.edu
Sun Jan 30 15:06:09 EST 2005

First, I want to compliment all the developers of scponly.  I read the
excellent directions and installed it last night using the defaults and no
"chroot jail."  It went about as smoothly as I could want.  I've tested it
with Linux and Mac OSX ssh, scp and sftp and CyberDuck on Mac OSX, and it
passed with nearly flying colors.

The only hitch was when I tried to ssh to the server; that is, I tried to
get shell access.  This should, of course, be refused. I didn't get shell
access, but the behavior was that the ssh client just seemed to "hang"
until I canceled it with control-c.  If I hit "return," it printed an odd
message about "WinSCP," which I wasn't using.  I've included a transcript
here:

% ssh cs110a at puma
cs110a at puma's password:

WinSCP: this is end-of-file:0

WinSCP: this is end-of-file:0
Connection to puma closed.
%

As near as I can see, this isn't a security issue, but just cosmetics.  It
would be nice if it just said "Shell access refused" or something like
that.

Thanks again for this great software!

Scott

--