[scponly] scponly logging slightly annoying...

Kaleb Pederson kpederson at mail.ewu.edu
Fri Aug 5 14:59:08 EDT 2005

Ok, scponly (configure) seems to have a problem that I wasn't able to figure
out in my cursory look (although I'm not very familiar with the auto* tools).

scponly opens syslog as follows:

// in scponly.c
#ifdef UNIX_COMPAT
        openlog(PACKAGE_NAME, logopts, LOG_AUTH);
#elif IRIX_COMPAT
        openlog(PACKAGE_NAME, logopts, LOG_AUTH);
#else
        if (debuglevel > 1) // debuglevel 1 will still log to syslog
                logopts |= LOG_PERROR;
        openlog(PACKAGE_NAME, logopts, LOG_AUTHPRIV);
#endif

Now, that looks fine and dandy, but on my machines (Linux and AIX),
PACKAGE_NAME is empty:

/* config.h.  Generated by configure.  */
#define PACKAGE_NAME ""
#define PACKAGE_VERSION ""
#define PACKAGE_BUGREPORT ""

They are defined in configure.in:

// in configure.in
AC_INIT([scponly.c])
PACKAGE=scponly
AC_DEFINE(PACKAGE)
PACKAGE_NAME=scponly
AC_DEFINE(PACKAGE_NAME)
PACKAGE_VERSION=4.0
AC_DEFINE(PACKAGE_VERSION)
PACKAGE_BUGREPORT=joe at sublimation.org
AC_DEFINE(PACKAGE_BUGREPORT)
dnl AC_CONFIG_SRCDIR([helper.c])
AC_CONFIG_HEADER([config.h])

But, in configure it looks like this:

# Identity of this package.
PACKAGE_NAME=
PACKAGE_TARNAME=
PACKAGE_VERSION=
PACKAGE_STRING=
PACKAGE_BUGREPORT=

Anybody know what we need to do so that scponly will correctly put the package
name in there?

Thanks for the help.

--Kaleb