[scponly] Scponlyc chroot confusion.

GBloomberg fin.ack at gmail.com
Sat Apr 23 01:02:09 EDT 2005

On 4/22/05, Kaleb Pederson <kpederson at mail.ewu.edu> wrote:
> You basically have everything that you need, you just need to change a few
> things.

Wow. Awesome info Kaleb. Thanks. I almost can't really add anything
else, except to say that I will start testing this weekend with the
info that you've have so graciously provided. I had no clue that this
was what I needed to do. Just acouple comments below.

> First, I would create a /home directory in which all the users' home
> directories will exist:
>
> $ mkdir /home/scponly/home
> $ chown root:root /home/scponly/home
> $ chmod 755 /home/scponly/home
> Now, when you create all the users, you will want to use a command like the
> following:
>
> $ useradd -s /usr/sbin/scponlyc -d /home/scponly//home/<username> <username>
>
> Now, note the double slashes. That means that every user will first get
> chrooted to /home/scponly, and then their home directory will
> be /home/username (within the /home/scponly folder).
>
> As that directory should be created with the right permissions, that user
> should then be able to do everything they need.
>
> I hope that helps.

Yes it does. It definitely has my mind thinking differently than it
was before you posted. I will play around with this weekend.

Actually, I don't know if this is possible but I would like to
automatically place the user in /home/scponly/incoming once they
login. And not allow them out of that directory or to see anything in
that directory but the files that, They, the user places in that
directory.

With the info that you provided it looks like I might be able to do that.

Thanks for your help as well Paul.

I've bought a really nice *Nix admin book that will help me understand
File and Dir permissions better. Thanks everyone. Time to take your
info and do my homework now. Have a great weekend.

GBloomberg