[scponly] subversion support

Kaleb Pederson kpederson at mail.ewu.edu
Thu Apr 7 10:52:23 EDT 2005

On Thursday 07 April 2005 2:31 am, Dimitri Papadopoulos-Orfanos wrote:
> I have some problems using Subversion with scponly. Some of them are
> known problems, for others I couldn't find a solution in the mailing
> list archive.
>
> 1) Some configure options fail at compile time.

There are a number of minor problems in the way configure is currently setup.
I think most of the issues have been brought to the attention of this list,
and I am hoping that most if not all of them will be fixed in the 4.1 release
(or pre-release) which I'm hoping to see soon.

> 2) scponly expects 'svn' instead of 'svnserve'

Yes.  As mentioned in one of the e-mails you pointed out in the archive, this
is used for ssh+svn://... support.  *Both* are needed but need to be handled
separately.  In my case, I only need svn support but not svnserve support, as
the server is somewhere else and reached via https.  For cases when you are
allowing them to use svn+ssh, then svnserve is required and svn would not be
wanted.

> 4) Our Subversion setup requires a different umask (0007).
>
> Under bash I can set umask in ~/.bashrc. Can I set umask under scponly?

Currently, there is no way to set a umask under scponly.  Perhaps there should
be?  I patched scponly for my institution, because I needed a umask identical
to yours.  This still allows certain clients to use permissions that we don't
want to see, but it works much better in most cases.

Perhaps this should be a configure time option?  I didn't expect most people
to need this functionality, so I hadn't considered it much more....

Perhaps that answers some of your questions?

--Kaleb