[scponly] tilde character

Andias andias at bofh.rus.uni-stuttgart.de
Wed Apr 6 02:05:52 EDT 2005

Hi,

I am currently using scponly-4.0 in my linux server and have a little
question.
Instead of PATH of home directory, I couldn't use "~" from the linux
scp-client, it looks like this:

$ scp user at mylinux.server.domain:~/file1.txt .
Password:
invalid characters in scp command!
here:~/file1.txt
try using a wildcard to match this file/directory

Anyway, I added a character "~" in file scponly.h (line 7), like this:
#define ALLOWABLE "~abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ01234567890 ./-*\\_\'\":?()"

and then recompile... aha... it looks better ....
But is that secure? Or is there a better solution for my case?

Regards,

Andias