[scponly] chdir in chroot problem (re-visited)

David Ramsden david at hexstream.eu.org
Tue May 25 15:25:32 EDT 2004

Hi,

A number of people (including myself) have had this problem. Mine got
fixed somewhere along the line.

I use scponlyc and scpjailer[1] for my users. In /etc/passwd, the users
home directory reads:
/home/www/users/foo//www

So when they login, they automatically get chdir'ed to ~/www
This doesn't work when using scponlyc - It does work however when using
scponly

So it's something either wrong in scponlyc itself or with my chroot. But
others have reported this too and I believe before scpjailer was
announced.

BTW, I have made sure that in the users chroot, in their local passwd
file the home directory reads:
//www

Can anyone else also replicate this please?
And what debugging can I turn on to help trace this? What debugging can
be turned on in scponly (what do I need to change, where does the output
go etc.?) - can I somehow attach strace on a session?

With more information we might be able to crack this one! I'm willing to
do testing, debugging etc.

[1] http://tjw.org/scpjailer/

Thanks and regards,
David.