[scponly] scponlyc "unknown user 512"

Dan Helfman dan at trustcommerce.com
Mon Mar 1 19:44:09 EST 2004

I'm trying to use scponlyc on an amd64 machine. The scponly binary works
fine, but when trying to use scponlyc instead, I get the following error
upon logging in:

  $ scp testfile test at 192.168.1.1:incoming/
  test at 192.168.1.1's password:
  unknown user 512
  lost connection

The test user is definitely present in /etc/passwd (and even
/home/test/etc/passwd). Syslog doesn't show anything particularly
helpful. I've tracked down the "unknown user" to scp itself, as a result
of a failed getpwuid() call. Any ideas on what might be wrong with my
installation or my /home/test chroot jail?

--
Dan Helfman
Senior Software Engineer, TrustCommerce
dan at trustcommerce.com