[scponly] couldn't chroot to /home/scp

David Ramsden david at hexstream.eu.org
Wed Jul 21 09:23:16 EDT 2004

On Wed, Jul 21, 2004 at 02:36:10PM +0200, Joakim Franzen wrote:
> I am having a problem chrooting with scponlyc . I have tried to create
> the scp-account both with scpjailer and with the script included with
> the debian package.

Did you compile scponly from source or are you using the Debian package?

> I keep getting "couldn't chroot to /home/scp" when I try logging in with
> WinSCP. Have tried different settings win Winscp without any luck. Is
> there a problem with my chroot installation or what could be wrong.

[snip]

Is the scponlyc binary setuid root on your system?
Does it work when you use, for example FileZilla[1]?

Can you increase the logging on both client and server to help you? Turn
on debugging mode in scponly (toggled on/off from a file - documentation
should tell you exactly).

Of course, you can try logging in via a UNIX machine and using "sftp
-vv ..." for extra verbose mode.

[1] http://filezilla.sf.net/

Regards,
David.