[scponly] jailed etc/passwd

Sven Hoexter sven at timegate.de
Wed Feb 18 23:37:45 EST 2004

On Wed, Feb 18, 2004 at 09:42:13PM +0000, Jorge Almeida wrote:
> I wonder is the file $JAIL/etc/passwd is really necessary. I removed it
> from the jail directory and sftp still works. Could it be that it is
> necessary for WINscp? I have no way to test this.
> Anyone?
uh I'm just guessing at this point so be aware this might be completly wrong.

I guess it's only needed for uid<->names mapping within the scponlyc chroot().
Under normal circumstances the authenfication should happen on the outside
where the sshd is running. So you might be able to remove it but then you
should only see files with uids on ls.

I just say it again, this is a guess!

Sven
--