[scponly] Hi, chroot problems.

Gene Delitzoy delitzoy at telus.net
Sun Sep 28 16:41:03 EDT 2003

Hello,

Redhat 9.0
Clients = winscp only, do not need sftp.
Chroot environment (I hope)
Multiple users.

I had problems with /usr/local/sbin/scponlyc. So i just did what the
install script was going to do and seems to be ok, was "red" now
"green".

I am also having trouble with the make jail.
./setup_chroot.sh
this script requires the program useradd or pw to add your
chrooted scponly user.
make: *** [jail] Error 1

When i look in the setup_chroot.sh script it says
if [ x/usr/sbin/useradd = x ]; then
        USE_PW=1;
else
    if [ x = x ]; then
        echo "this script requires the program useradd or pw to add
your"
        fail "chrooted scponly user."
    fi

#whereis useradd
useradd: /usr/sbin/useradd /usr/share/man/man8/useradd.8.gz

Should I manually copy all the files over? Which leads to my second
question.

I have never setup a chroot environment before.
I would like multiple users to use winscp to transfer files.

So would my file system look like this ?

/home/chroot/$user, and the chroot files would be in /home/chroot,
or would they be in /home/chroot/$users? So one chroot for every user?

I have read through the archives but did not find(see, understand)
anything on this.

thank you for any help.